Monday 12 March 2012

Community Healing Pole, March 11, 2012


From Gleanings for Sunday March 11th, 2012
Two Worlds and a Healing Pole

“I would like to carve a residential school healing pole!” Isadore exclaimed one Sunday morning. We were sitting in a class of about twenty-five adults at our church, identifying some of the barriers that keep settler and indigenous peoples from experiencing closer relationships. The unfortunate legacy of church-run residential schools was one of those barriers and Is...adore, a former student himself, was helping us to understand the need for reconciliation. He explained that if we carved a pole together he would be able to tell his story in a culturally appropriate way and the process of carving would help us, experientially, towards the path of peace. The finished pole would have indigenous images of protection, family, security and healing, many of the things lost in residential school.
I must admit, this sounded strange to me. But as my friendship with Isadore grew, I saw the need to see things from his point of view, as he sought to understand mine. Here’s a story that might help illustrate this journey of new understandings.
“Hey Don, I don’t think I can come. My car won’t start.” Isadore’s voice was strained with frustration. “I can’t afford to fix it,” he moaned. “I might as well just give it back.” I encouraged him to go to the dealership to see what they could do. So I picked him up and we drove from the potholed, gravel road of the reserve onto the fresh blacktop by the gleaming new auto dealership. It was like leaving one world and entering another. Isadore looked so small in the high ceilinged reception area adjacent to the spotless service centre. It was this dealership that sold him the car and where he bought an extended warranty. Quietly, Isadore approached the service manager. “I thought that since we have a relationship, maybe you could do something for me?” I was startled. Relationship? I knew that approach wouldn’t get him anywhere in this place!
The manager didn’t sound promising. The car would have to be towed at his expense and warranty coverage was not assured. Isadore was given an 800 number to call and register his complaint. Turning his feet, Isadore started for the door, conceding defeat. “Wait a minute!” I blurted out indignantly. “My friend has an extended warranty that is still good for another 40,000 km and one more year. Who will pay for the towing and the repair?” “Well…,” came the meek response, “I think we will.”
Isadore smiled. “Wow! This is a really good day!” With gleaming faces, we started back to the reserve. Isadore called the tow truck driver and insisted that his car be taken to the dealership.
A little while later, I was following Isadore as he drove his newly repaired car to the longhouse on the neighbouring reserve. “Just follow me,” he said. Isadore entered with sure steps, me in tow… and somewhat hesitant. We walked through a kitchen into the long hall, down a ramp onto a dirt floor. A simple meal was served. I hung back and waited at the end of the line before serving myself. I wasn’t sure if there was some protocol, some way of doing things that I wasn’t aware of. I didn’t want to mess up. After eating, Isadore joined his fellow elders at a table and the real meeting began.
And what a meeting it was! Age was respected, first names were used, participants deferred to one another, relationships were valued and decisions were made based on consensus. Congregationalists could really learn a thing or two from this.
I watched Isadore as he participated. He looked so at home and comfortable. And near the end of the meeting, he shared his plans for the residential school healing pole. I was now starting to see how important this project was to him. . . and to me. The pole was a way to connect worlds that are still largely disconnected and unknown, a way to hear another’s story, and a way to bring understanding and experience the beginnings of a relationship. And relationship is critical.
Last month the pole carving was featured at Missions Fest in Vancouver in the main display hall. Hundreds of people saw indigenous carvers and non-indigenous ‘apprentices’ working together on a yellow cedar pole that will tell the story of how pain and separation are finding a path toward truth, healing and trust. Just the process of shaping this tree together – a tree that grew tall and strong in the midst of that residential school era – is incredibly powerful. Many stopped to help and to listen to stories of redemption.
The pole will now travel to churches and communities throughout B.C. and perhaps beyond. Isadore and I will tell the stories of our journey, our common faith in Christ and how our lives are being enriched by one another. We hope many more will join us on this path. While the pole is only a small gesture, our prayer is that it can become a rallying point, a beacon of hope, and the start of some amazing friendships, like the one I’m blessed to have.

Don Klaassen, Yarrow, BC
See more
 

No comments:

Post a Comment